Using Nard from VirtualBox with a Direct Ethernet Connection

Caleb Place calebplace811 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 21:12:41 CEST 2016

Ok... Maybe that was a bit premature. I did get it working once and the SSH
prompt came up. I executed a few commands to see if it was working (ls, cd,
etc), and everything seemed great. However, now it's stopped working again.
The make ssh command fails with "No IP-addresses found".

I'm probably just getting some super simple step wrong, so I'll just go
over exactly what I have. I'm using the image of Fedora from the Nard
website. It's running LXDE. (I tried multiple distros of Linux before
ending up using the VirtualBox one you provided, so I don't remember if
LXDE is the default or not.) In VirtualBox, I have only one network adapter
set to bridged mode, with the name dropdown set to my computer's doohickey.
Promiscuous mode is denied and the cable connected box is checked.

On the actual Linux side, I have a single connection in the settings. IPv4
is set to manual, and the address/netmask/gateway is
192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0/0.0.0.0 (the last field was set by the computer
after I left the field blank). Under "Routes..." I have a single route set
to 192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0/blank/blank for
address/netmask/gateway/metric.

As for the Nard SD card, I only set the settings as you wrote. It's on
static mode, with 192.168.10.2 as the IP and 255.255.255.0 as the netmask.
It seems to start up correctly (the light starts blinking regularly after a
short wait when plugging it in), but when I try to use `make ssh' it won't
show up. I have changed absolutely nothing else in the Nard tree, SD card,
or anything else. What am I doing wrong?