Unsure about cloning vs compiling

Mon Dec 7 07:24:59 CET 2020

Hi Ronny,

I recently learned about Nard and it seems perfect to use for my keg washer
project.  Just to give you a quick background, I am currently using a Pi
Compute 3+ running Rasbian to control a keg washing machine.  The Pi runs
the physical machine via GPIO (using RPi-GPIO) and also runs an HDMI
touchscreen using python, tkinter GUI, sqlite, and some window manager that
I am not sure of, but is obviously included with the desktop Rasbian.  This
machine/app does not require a network/wifi (plus the Pi Compute does not
have onboard wifi, but I have been using a USB wifi dongle to download my
python app onto the Pi).

My goal is to be able to install Nard with my app and all the dependencies
on multiple Pi Computes.  The first thing that confuses me, is why couldn’t
I just start with your pre-built binary version and then install all the
needed dependencies and my python app and then just copy the eMMC card?  I
read that device ID stuff is kept in the settings folder, so I assume I’d
just have to change that for each Pi Compute after cloning.  It seems
easier than compiling my own, would that work or is there something I am
missing?  Forgive me if I have some gross misunderstanding.  I am
definitely interested in learning to compile but I know it could be a steep
learning curve.

Thanks,

Greg