Nard for embedded music installation

James Hughes james at virtualjames.com
Sun Aug 21 23:11:40 CEST 2016

I did a permanent art installation using Raspberry Pi and Python and it's
been a pain. Python is very heavy weight and not really meant to run in an
unattended environment for years on end. There's just a lot going on with
garbage collection and big libraries. It's using sciPy for some
interpolation and there's actually a memory leak in sciPy... You might be
able to get a reliable system running if you choose your libraries and
versions very carefully. If rebooting every night is an option, then that
may work ok, too.

I'm currently porting the whole thing to NARD and straight C. It's a simple
app using GPIO and occasionally posting some logging info to the web for
monitoring purposes, but I feel a lot better about putting that in a
vitrine and forgetting about it. This thing runs 24/7/365.